Saturday 20 December 2008

Crazy anecdotes

So I just thought I'd tell you about one of the characters at my place of work, this one I will call Zia because she's like a crazy aunt in an Agatha Christie novel and she's Italian.

She is the one who's been working there for about 30 years and once nominated herself for employee of the month (sorry, team member of the month).

Her anecdote for today (which, actually, she does rather a lot) was moving bags. We make popcorn throughout the day and store it in big plastic (not re-usable) bags. Also, we have two bins in the back of Candy Bar (one is a bit bigger than the other) and Zia loves to bustle around in there taking all of the used popcorn bags out of the small bin and putting them in the big bin. She then likes to tell us young 'uns "Don't put the bags in this bin, love, it'll fill up too quickly." or "Now you know you're not supposed to put the bags in this bin, love, I've told you all a hundred times. That Whatshisname is the worst of course."

3 comments:

Miss Anty said...

Oooh, Zia reminds me of this oldie at work-- she can talk your ears, eyes and face off. Though instead of anecdotes, she kinda just rants incoherently. Last Monday she was on spaghetti for 5-10 minutes.

Nerd Girl said...

Zia moves too fast to stay on one topic; while she's reprimanding you about bins, she's also walking on top of spilled corn kernels with a broom in hand.

John Eldridge said...

Older co-workers are always depressing and occasionally deranged.

My drunken nightfill 2IC at a suburban IGA would never stop offering me drugs, culminating in the evening he drank a bottle of vodka on shift and told me I should go to his place and 'smoke cones' whenever I want.