Friday 12 February 2010

Supermarket scandal

Or rather, the lack of one. I am super excited ladies and gents because yesterday (my first day back at work) I served a blind person and a deaf person at my checkout (at different times, of course) and I wasn't accidentally insensitive to either of them! Snaps for me!

Also for the first time, I got to use my second language at work. My boss was so impressed when I said in my interview that I spoke Italian and she said it would be good because of all the tourists etc. who come into our supermarket. So it was good to finally be able to use it. (I'd been starting to think I'd have been better off learning Chinese)

Anyway, there was this guy with an Italian accent, I asked if he was from Italy and he was, so we chatted in Italian. But, it turns out he's been in Australia for 40 years! He asked me how long I'd been here
"19 years."
"And how old are you?"
"19."

So, here's a question, who should be welcoming whom?

No comments: