Wednesday 10 February 2010

Home again

I wonder what the opposite of culture shock is? Because I think I've had it.

When I arrived in Oman (I suppose because it was my second visit) things did not seem at all strange and the fact that I was suddenly surrounded by men in long white robes put me at ease, rather than on edge like it did on my first trip. So, there was that, first of all - I went to another country and felt quite comfortable. But then, when I got back home, I couldn't get out of that Middle Eastern mindset.

It's summer time here and we're in a bit of a heat wave but I felt I was being horribly inappropriate for going out in jeans and a tank top. What's up with that? This is Australia and I'm an Australian - we invented ugg boots for crying out loud!

But, yeah, after the first two days of fighting with my newly acquired super-modesty, I think I'm finally getting over it. I spent this morning rediscovering T-shirts. I'm even considering going up to the shops in my knee length skirt.

2 comments:

Lady K said...

Yes. Awkward isn't it?

I didn't have any problems when I first got here, everything seemed so similar to home (costumes & non-alcoholic beverages aside). But I am ready to leave. Possibly because I know I'm about to. Or it could be to do with feeling extremely claustrophobic and unable to do anything about it. Think gender might play a role. Anyway. Flight at ungodly o'clock tomorrow. Ugh.

Femikneesm said...

Had two days in KL recently. Felt very uncomfortable even wearing a t shirt.