Sunday 6 December 2009

WASPs make mistakes too

Now, I'll be honest, there have actually been a few noteworthy customers at the supermarket already but to describe exactly why they're noteworthy often requires facial expression, tone of voice and hand signals. So they're not really blog appropriate.

I should also mention that the supermarket I'm in, while awesome in terms of transport and places to go for my lunch breaks, is in an area that attracts... a variety of people. I've served quite a few middle class anglo-saxons but more often than that I serve backpackers, exchange students and migrants as well as a fair few drunks and crazies. (Incidentally, I've been doing day shifts for the most part.)

So, my people-dealing skills are really coming into play now and, consequently, it's getting a little hard to choose a customer of the day. Nonetheless, here's one for you now (not one of the crazies or non-English speakers... yet):

So, you know how in clothing shops and such if you find a shirt with a button missing you can get it discounted? Well these two young gentlemen had obviously heard this from their mothers.

Teenage boy: (puts a bottle of soft drink on the conveyor belt) This is damaged, so can I get it discounted?

Me: (looking at the bottle which seems to be all in tact) Umm... where is it damaged?

TB: See? It's ripped.

Me: (still can't find anything) Well the seal looks fine...

TB: No, there. (points to the label on the bottle which has the tiniest of rips in it)

Me: Oh... well, I can't discount that.

TB: Why not?

Me: The product isn't actually damaged, just the label. If it was really damaged, we wouldn't sell it to you because it could be contaminated.

TB: Oh, okay then.

Me: So, that's $2. Would you like your receipt?

---

PS: Sorry about the title, it's not a great one, I know. But I think I'm using 'Customer of the Day' a bit too much. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Ki said...

You could call this section "Short Changed"...