Wednesday 4 November 2009

Inducted and proud

So, I had my induction at the supermarket today* and filled out lots and lots of paperwork (a considerably large amount of it with yesterday's date, which I didn't realise until we'd finished most of it. But I'm not too worried because I know no one will actually check this stuff unless I'm caught doing illegal stuff and they want to bring out some papers to wave at me.)

As well as paperwork, we watched videos! It felt exactly like those lessons at school when the teacher can't be bothered making a lesson plan, so they stick on a crappy old video then make you write a report on it. Thankfully we're not required to right reports. But we did have to sign various forms saying that we'd seen the videos and understood and so one, so forth.

The videos are really terrible. I mean really terrible. These things make Jennifer Aniston look good.

But I knew I had to take notes when I heard the one on electricity, the intro went a little something like this:

"Electricity is a wonderful thing; it helps us with all kinds of daily tasks - at home and in the workplace. It's all around us and offers many conveniences. It lights our rooms, cools our food, powers our computers and so much more. If you touch if you'll die."

The video went on to talk about double adapters (or should I say "bringers of burnination"). We saw a roleplay concerning these objects and, my goodness gracious me, it was so lifelike! I felt like I was really there, feeling the conflict between the characters. For I could see that the kettle was a symbol of their love, a love which could never flourish because there simply was not room. This big ol' world doesn't want kettles getting too close to toasters... a flame could erupt! (A flame of passion!)

But I cannot do this scene justice on my own. I have to share it with you;

(Woman approaches with kettle but notices the electrical socket is full.)
Woman: Oh, I'd better get a double adapter.

Man: No! You can't use double adapters, they're not safe!

Woman: Oh, that's true. I know someone who use a double adapter and they had a fire. I'd better not use the kettle.

Man: No, we just need to find a safe way to use the kettle.
(Man unplugs the toaster to allow Woman to plug in the kettle)

Woman: Wow, easy.


* * *

I also learned about "power fingers"** and the various cleaning chemicals. Each cleaning chemical is "identifiable by its colour"... except I couldn't help but notice that two different chemicals are colour coded brown. How on earth will I be able to tell the difference? Seriously folks, I'm worried. I'm also worried that the video gave the impression we could only identify them by their colours. But I would have thought that their label which says the name of chemical and what it does might give you a hint. Apparently not. And now we're stuck with two browns. Tsk tsk.

That's about all for now. I'll let you know how my first real shift goes when that happens.


*It occurs to me that, from now on, I can't just talk about "work", I'll have to say "the cinema" or "the supermarket".

** From the hour long video on how to lift things. I didn't know you could spend an hour on that, but there you go. Lifting.

5 comments:

Jacob said...

Sand, sand, SAND!!

Did you get the "what is and isn't appropriate contact at work?" questionnaire? Classic. And very informative.

Nerd Girl said...

Unfortunately not. So I guess I'll never know. Sigh.

Btw, call me silly, but what 'sand' are you referring to?

Jacob said...

The episode of the Simpsons wherein Miss Krabapple shows her class a video on the importance of sand. The closing bit to that is a song which goes "sand, sand, SAND!".

Oh, I vaguely recall also starting a new job once and being asked in one of those questionnaires to state whether it is inappropriate for two gay men who are mutually attracted to one another to date. WTF? I wonder if anyone ever says 'no' and still expects to get the job?

Nerd Girl said...

Oh! How could I forget sand? And that excellent one about zinc too. Good times.

And that last question; WTF? Who asks that?

Jacob said...

I know, right.

The funny thing is that, in the strict interpretation of those sexual harrassment rules, I have been both the victim and offender. Eek. Who says you can't pinch a co-worker's bicep when he does it to you first? Pish!