Sunday 1 March 2009

Goodbye childhood

This is my last day before I'm an official uni student. I can just feel my innocence slipping away from me. Uni is different from school, in subtle but important ways;

1. I don't have to go in on Fridays. At all!

2. There's a pub on campus

3. You are allowed to look nice when you get your ID photo taken. This means not having your hair pulled tightly back from your face, being allowed to cover any blemishes with makeup, being able to wear clothes in colours that suit you, not being told to say "jelly beans" by the photographer. (I don't know about the rest of you, but that request always meant I ended up having a withering stare on my student ID photo instead of a friendly, youthful grin.)

4. During Orientation Week we were given a bag of useful things to help us through university life. This included:
- a pamphlet entitled Alcohol and Your Studies
- condoms
- an invitation to the Naughty Back 2 Skool Inferno: Best naughty costume winner scores big!
- information on emergency contraception (this was entitled Oh $#*! "Because $#*! happens... EC is easy to get anytime from your chemist.")
- information on "What to do if you find used syringes" (The underlining was already there, I didn't add it in)

This poor Catholic school girl doesn't know what's hit her.

5 comments:

Jacob said...

I thought you were going to start next year??

Meanwhile, I'm pretty jealous. When I started uni I was never schooled on contraception and alcohol and stuff. What kind of hedonistic establishment are you attending exactly?!

John Eldridge said...

Haha, O-Week. Three years on, and I'm still receiving these sorts of unsolicited emails:

"KICK-OFF CAMP 2009
Christian Union is having its first camp at the end of this week! This is a chance for us to come together to learn from the Bible, to get to know each other and grow as a group, and to find out more about the focus and events of Christian Union this semester!"

I just wanted a free Freddo Frog. I would have signed anything!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nerd Girl said...

Jacob - I was and then I realised that a full year in my own company might be a bit too much to handle. I was driving myself crazy after 4 months! But I might take a year off next year...

John- I did the same thing except it was a Chuppa Chupp and a subscription to some sort of computer thing.
It's like they figured out our one weakness!

Femikneesm said...

How exciting. Don't tell anyone, but I miss uni - and I'm thinking of going back to do another degree....What are you studying?