Wednesday 20 February 2008

What's wrong with L33T?

First, let me apologise to my readers who have maturity levels beyond that of a school student and look at things in perspective, because this blog will sound like a whiny teenager to you (which it is, but let's pretend otherwise).
I'm in year 12 this year and this disadvantages of this year (stress, mental breakdowns, extra extra homework, etc) are all greatly outweighed by a few simple things: We own this school, year 12 is the year when other students just move out of your way in corridors, teachers put you as top priority and, in general, there are various unspoken rules allowing you to get better service at the tuckshop, take the good seats in the library and make the year 11s feel inferior (and the year 10s, 9s ... well, everyone really except the year 6s 'cause they're so small and cute)

But, what is it that gives us this power? (and it's certainly not height) It is our Jumpers.

Currently we are deciding the nicknames we get written on the front of our Jumper but the teachers have decided not everything was appropriate and are not allowing some names. Some of these seem fair enough not to allow:
Shaboobless
S&M
Cnut

But then there are others which are not being allowed for who knows what reason:
T bag
Madam Butterfly
Colonel Sanders
and Nerd Girl. Yes, that's right people, I had to fight for my right to call myself a nerd! It took me half the day and a lot of running to various teachers to finally be allowed to keep that name of my jumper. But even then they wouldn't let me write in L33T speak (N3RD G1RL).
Honestly, what sort of society do we live in where you get called in to speak to the Deputy Principal about something like that?

6 comments:

Jacob said...

Ohmygosh, this is so true. I still love my jumper, I think it was the best thing about year 12. It's actually comfortable and it made me want to show up every day wearing it, even if I WAS just there to skip maths.

I wasn't creative enough to think of a nickname, so I was just Jacob all year. Boo. But props to you for sticking it to the man, 1337 or no leet.

It's kind of spooky how, whenever I go out wearing my year 12 jumper, I almost ALWAYS run into someone from school. Sometimes they'll be wearing their jumper as well. You may find this, I'm not sure, but it's happened to me a lot.

Are your jumpers the same style as last year's and the year before?

Nerd Girl said...

I think ours are like the year before's so maybe if I wear mine outside of school I'll run into you. That would be an awesome power to have: I wear my jumper, I run into an old friend.

Felix for Zosia said...

Cheesecakes and crumpets!!! (as T Bag would say). I am shaking my head in dismay, disgust, AND disbelief...
But am also reminded of Ellie M (you know her too) who wanted a Homer Simpson quote under her yearbook picture: "Me bad at English? That's UNpossible!". It was kindheartedly (yet small-mindedly) edited to "Me bad at English? That's impossible!"

Lady K said...

I'm sorry, but I don't get your letter number mix ups, nor how they're any more efficient that just using the letters. Actually, I always stare art them and wonder for a minute about whether I missed the joke (a: probably). I know, I'm old. Can you explain anyway?

Nerd Girl said...

Well, a long long time ago a small group of nerds decided it would be fun to mess around with some of the letters in the English language. It's called 1337 /L33T (pronounced 'Leet').
Basically it was a way to keep you n00bs out of our club.

Lady K said...

I would be offended at being called a noob, except that it doesn't mean anything, so there is nothing to be offended about. You can have your club. But don't clutter my emails up with your silly words.