Thursday 3 January 2008

What I miss most

I'm about to break the Code, everyone. You all know what I'm talking about, all kids live by this Code and continue to live by it until they become parents when it still exists but the meaning has changed a little for them. The Code is this: Vegetables are the enemy.

I MISS VEGETABLES SO MUCH! I just finished my dinner and realised that for the past week (maybe longer) I have been craving carrots. Fresh carrots and lettuce and celery! Fresh veggies don't exist here, they have no place in italian society and the food mafia has made damn sure they don't show faces in this country again. Here there are tomatoes, cheese and pasta. Now the Italians have done great things with their food, don't get me wrong, and desserts here amazing. But everything's cooked, I'm not used to that. I'm an Aussie and fresh veggies and I are like this: *imagine two fingers crossed over each other*. Like that!
But, for the next three weeks, I have to live without them.

I swear I could kill that food mafia.

3 comments:

Felix for Zosia said...

I'm struck by your comment suggesting that vegetables have faces, but since I don't want to be the one to make some lame joke about potatoes that have eyes I am left with nothing much to say, because once that thought entered my head it sat down and took up the entire metaphorical couch that I like to imagine exists inside my head, leaving no room for any other thoughts.

Lady K said...

FfZ. Hello. Mr Potato Head.

N - why don't you stop at a food market and just buy some veggies? They start fresh, I promise. Then you can eat them. It's ok, you're foreign, so you're allowed to do "odd" things. x

Nerd Girl said...

Zosia - LOL! I have nothing else to say, that was just tooo silly.

AD - Hmmm. I hadn't thoguht of that before. Perhaps I'll hide some carrots and a vegetable peeler in my sock drawer.